Dr. Haddad is a general eye surgeon and a specialist in LASIK and LASER surgery. Following his Residency in Ophthalmology as a General Eye Surgeon at the American University of Beirut, he was chosen among hundreds of applicants to be a corneal Fellow /Junior Associate in one of the leading laser centers in the world. He was trained by pioneers in the field, and world-renowned surgeons who contribute constantly to the development of laser technology and LASIK surgery. He performed cutting edge research in the US, offering him several opportunities as a keynote speaker and lecturer, addressing thousands of doctors in the Annual Meetings for the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Haddad is actually one of very few surgeons in Lebanon who are certified to do LASIK on patients, and holds more than 8 different certificates for several types of LASIK/laser surgeries. Dr. Haddad was also proficiently trained in new techniques for corneal transplantation with human amniotic membranes, challenging cases of micro- incision cataract surgery, and the new ring implants /UV crosslinking for Keratoconus patients. He is also one of few people who implant the new Artiflex, Artisan and ICL lenses to treat high Myopia/Astigmatism reaching 30 degrees and Hyperopia reaching 13 degrees which cannot be treated with the regular laser technology.
Dr. Haddad’s dedication to his patients is exceptional. The determination and drive he holds for his career allows him to strive for higher education and knowledge of the latest updates, thus offering the best in eye care for his patients.
Dr. Haddad is a member of the Lebanese Order of Physicians, Lebanese Ophthalmic Society, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Inter Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ISCRS), and the French Society of Ophthalmology. (2001- present)
Division of Cornea and Refractive Surgery.
Cincinnati Eye Institute and Northern Kentucky Laser Center . Cincinnati , USA (3 months surgical/clinical elective, under the supervision of Dr. Edward Holland, Dr Mike Snyder and Dr Robert Osher). June-July 04& Jan 2002
Division of Urology
University of Colorado Health Science Center Denver , USA ( Five week-elective, under the supervision of Dr.John Whitesel). Nov- Dec 98)
Division of Ophthalmology
American University of Beirut ( Five week- elective, Sep- Oct 99) (Clinical and Surgical)
Division of Endocrinology
American University of Beirut (Five week – elective with emphasis on Diabetes, Hypertension, Thyroid and Autoimmune diseases affecting the eye, Jan 99)
1- Biology Bachelor of Science. B.S.
2- Medical Doctor M.D.
3- Ophthalmogist. ( Internal medicine internship then residency)
4- Specialist: Corneal and Refractive Surgeon.
5- Subspecialist: Laser/Lasik Surgery
6- Certified on the VISX S4 excimer laser system for LASIK and PRK
7- Certified for Wavefront-Guided Laser treatment on the VISX Custom-Vue system.
8- Certified on the NIDEK excimer laser system for LASIK and PRK, PTK, LASEK.
9- Certified on the VISX excimer laser system for PTK, LASEK, Intralase-Lasik
10- Certified for the Intralase femtosecond laser system. (All- laser technique)
11- Certified for INTACS and KERARING corneal surgery for myopia,keratoconus and ectasia.
12- Certified for the insertion of Artisan/ Artiflex / STAAR ICL/ Phakic 6 lenses for high myopia.
13- Certified for the CK Conductive Keratoplasty System by Refractec for hyperopia/presbyopia.
14- Certified for performing UV Crosslinking to strengthen corneas in Keratoconus patients.
Medical College Admission Test
United States Medicine License Examinations
Oct 1999 Step1 Score 95
Nov 1999 Step2 Score 90
Completed successfully on Oct 18, 2002
ECFMG STATUS : CERTIFIED
Certification # 0-600-355-2 issued Jan 15, 03
IN- SERVICE EXAMINATIONS
Oct 1999 Internal Medicine In- Training examination
Percent Rank By PGY Level: 95th percentile.
ADVANCED CARDIAC LIFE SUPPORT EXAM
Certificate Available online : www.walidhaddad.com/profile.htm
Sep 1999, American University of Beirut Medical Center
Sep 2000, American University of Beirut Medical Center
Sep 2001, American University of Beirut Medical Center
Sep 2002, American University of Beirut Medical Center
General Medicine Licensing Examination
Lebanese Order of Physicians
Editor and panel member of.Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today:
CRTS is a monthly journal that focuses on the latest news and cutting edge technology in
refractive surgery and presents the most clinically relevant material to the inquisitive
surgeon and provides critical peer-review sections based on recent clinical studies.
Founder and Associate Editor of eyeweb.org.
“http://www.eyeweb.org” is a non-profit web site dedicated to ophthalmic knowledge. It
targets ophthalmologists, primary care physicians, residents, medical students and
patients through special sections like case presentations, patient education, journal watch,
on-line atlas, PDA (Palm Pilot) formatted-programs and special links to other useful
websites…. It has been very highly ranked by major web directories. A search on yahoo
will most likely list the website in the top 10 entries. All photos and case presentations
relate to patients diagnosed ant treated by the authors at the American University of
Beirut Medical Center.
Founder and Associate Editor of eyesoftware.net.
www.eyesoftware.net is another website that offers ophthalmologists and optometrists useful
softwares designed for Palm OS and pocket PC handhelds. Examples of available software are
the IOL calculator, Strabismus Calculator, Laser Companion?..
More softwares are under construction
– Online Lectures:
Intraocular Anatomy, clinically oriented.
Optic Nerve Pathologies.
– Online case presentations:
Bietti’s Corneoretinal Dystrophy (case # 6)
Pseudotumor Cerebri (case# 7)
Postraumatic Hypotony /ciliary shut- down (case # 8)
Dominant Drusen (case # 9)
Berlin’s Edema =Commotio Retinae ( case #10)
1. Haddad WF, Farah NT. Floppy Eyelid Syndrome Masquerading Vernal Catarrh in a 5 year-Old Child. Middle East Journal of Ophthalmology MEJO 2001;9:120-122 (Editor-in-Chief of MEJO is Michael Wagoner)
2. Farah NT, Haddad WF. The Differential Diagnosis of Crystals in the Retina.
International Ophthalmology, 2002; 24:113-121.
3. Haddad W. Update on Capsular Tension Rings. Cataract and Refractive Surgery
Today. Feb 2004: 16-19
4. Khawwam E, Haddad WF, Zein TW. Intermittent Exotropia with high AC/A ratio:
Is it a bane to surgical cure? (Binocular Vision and Strabismus Quarterly “, Dec
2003:18 (4) :209-16
5. Dany M. Najjar, Shady T. Awwad, Wadih Zein, Walid Haddad. Assessment of the corneal endothelium in acute Ultraviolet Keratitis. Med Sci Monit 2006 Apr 25;12 (5) :23-25.
6. Shady T. Awwad, Walid Haddad, Ming X. Wang, Dipak Parmar, Darrel Conger,
H. Dwight Cavanagh. Corneal Intrastromal Gatifloxacin Crystal Deposits After
Penetrating Keratoplasty. Eye Contact Lens 2004;30(3):169-172.
(also presented in ASCRS2005)
7. Haddad WF, Awwad ST, Najjar D, Zein TW. Endotheliitis Secondary to UV
keratitis. (Presented at the ARVO April 2004, published in the journal : “Cornea” July 2004)
8. Haddad WF, Khoury JF. LASIK for high myopic astigmatism resulting from perforating ocular injury. Journal of Refractive Surgery 2005 Nov Dec;21(6):756-9.
9. Mansour AM, Chan CC, Crawford MA, Tabbara ZA, Shen D, Haddad WF, Salti I, Ghazi ND.
Virus- Induced chalazion. Eye. 2006 Feb; 20(2):242-6.
7. Haddad WF, Awwad ST, Najjar D, Zein TW. Endotheliitis Secondary to UV keratitis.
(Presented at the ARVO April 2004, published in the journal : “Cornea” July 2004)
8. Haddad WF, Khoury JF. Standard non-customized LASIK for treating high astigmatism after perforating ocular injuries.
Accepted in Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery” in March 2005.
9. Mansour AM, Chan CC, Crawford MA, Tabbara ZA, Shen D, Haddad WF, Salti I, Ghazi ND. Virus- Induced chalazion.
Eye. 2006 Feb; 20(2):242-6.
10. Efficacy of laser in situ keratomileusis in correcting anterior and non-anterior corneal astigmatism: Comparative study Lance Kugler, Ilan Cohen, Walid Haddad, Ming X. Wang
Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery October 2010 (Vol. 36, Issue 10, Pages 1745-1752)
1. Haddad WF, Wang MX. Wavefront Technology ; Past , present and future.
(Submitted to the “Survey of Ophthalmology” in Dec 06.
2. Wang, MX, Haddad WF, Swartz TS. Efficacy of LASIK in treating non-anterior
corneal astigmatism. (Submitted to the Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Feb 06).
3. Haddad, WF. Wang MX, Swartz TS. Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis in patients on oral
contraceptive pills. (Presented in ASCRS 2005, Submitted to the Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery in Jan 2006)
4. Mansour AM, Haddad WF. Treatment of diabetic papillopathy with subconjunctival steroids.
(Presentation at the 2004 AAO meeting in New Orleans)
5. Haddad WF. Standard versus topography-guided ecximer treatments in virgin eyes
using the Nidek EC 5000 NAVEX platform. (Prospective study in progress)..
6. Rigid Permeable Contact Lenses on eyes with intrastromal rings. Comparison of comfort and vision relative to the contralateral eye in the same patients. (prospective study in progress)
7- Effect of corneal croslinking with and without intrastromal segments in corneas of patients with keratoconus.
8- The transition from Artisan to Artiflex lenses: Technical and Refractive considerations…
Ming Wang, MD, PhD
Cornea and Refractive Surgery
1801 West End Avenue,
Nashville, TN 37203 USA
Edward J Holland, M.D.
Director, Cornea and Refractive Surgery
Cincinnati Eye Institute
Coordinator, Fellowship Program
10494 Montgomery Road
Cincinnati, OH 45242 USA
Baha’ Noureddin, MD FACS
Chairman, Department of Ophthalmology
American University of Beirut Medical Center
3 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, 8th floor
Johnny Khoury, MD
Director, Refractive Surgery Division
Department of Ophthalmology
3 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, 8th floor
Ahmad Mansour, MD
Department of Ophthalmology
American University of Beirut medical Center
3 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, 8th floor, New York
John A. Whitesel, M.D.
Clinical Professor and Interim Head
Division of Urology
University of Colorado Health Science Center